The CSP works collaboratively with Rutgers University’s Offices of Undergraduate Admissions, Disability Services, Academic Deans, Learning Centers, Counseling Center (CAPS), Career Services, Student Employment, Residence Life, Student Life, Deans of Students and as necessary, program advisors and faculty.
The CSP offers the following:
- Weekly meetings with the coordinator
- Assistance with defining academic, organizational, and life goals
- Strategies to meet identified goals
- Trained Peer Mentors
- Social Events
- Parent Workshops
- Referrals & Follow-Up with academic and support services
- Referrals for psychotherapy or counseling when requested
Services through the CSP also include:
- Tours of Rutgers University
- Individualized orientation to navigating campus transportation
- Accessing campus resources
- Learning to reside with room- and floor-mates
- Managing life skills
- Participating in on- and off-campus activities
- Managing academic coursework
- Planning and preparing for employment
The experience of being a peer mentor was not what I expected, it was better.
– Michael Nanfara ‘14, Peer Mentor
I think this is one of the most fulfilling things I’ve ever done. Doing this has solidified what I’m going to college for and what I want to do with the rest of my life.
– Kimberly Hanks ‘16, Peer Mentor
This program has given me the opportunity to be a part of a great group of people. I am fortunate enough to learn more about autism and become more aware of the topic. This opportunity is once in a lifetime and I am learning more every day.
– LaShawn Adams ‘15, Peer Mentor
The College Support Program surpassed our expectations! [Our son] has the most appropriate support for his anxiety and learning challenges since the start of his college career in 2008. The coordinator identified his issues and created appropriate strategies to address them. She was effective and tireless! The peer mentor program was also very successful for [him]. In the past, we relied on a tutor for a “point of performance” person, but here at Rutgers, the peer mentors served the same function while not making [him] feel frustrated about needing so much professional support. We are very grateful for the progress you have helped [our son] achieve! Thank you!
– Karen K., Parent/Guardian