Health Benefits of Yoga
Yoga has both preventive and therapeutic benefits. It has been shown to offer both physical and mental benefits to the body and the mind.
The mental benefits include:
Increases body awareness
Relieves chronic stress patterns in the body
Refreshes the body by relieving muscle strain
Relaxes the mind and body
Frees the spirit
Yoga exercises are designed to ease tense muscles, to tone up the internal organs, and to improve the flexibility of the body’s joints and ligaments. The aim of proper yoga exercises to improve suppleness and strength. Each posture is performed slowly in fluid movements. Violent movements are avoided; they produce a buildup of lactic acid, causing fatigue. It can be practiced by anyone, regardless of age, to achieve a more limber body, increased physical coordination, better posture, and improved flexibility without incurring the potentially negative effects associated with high-impact forms of exercise.
Helpful Tips from our Experts
- Recognize your body’s capabilities
- Never force your body into a posture or try to go beyond your limit
- Ease yourself gently into each position
- When holding a pose, if you feel tension building, breathe to try and relax
- Some poses affect mood and energy differently: Try Sun Salutation, backbends, and standing poses early in the day
“Young and old alike can practice yoga. While there is no one who should be excluded, you should check with your doctor before you begin a course if you suffer from a medical condition or have any doubts.”