Rutgers Faculty and Staff are frequently on the front line in dealing with the day-to-day lives of students at the university.  The purpose of this information is to assist faculty and staff members in enhancing the educational and personal achievements of Rutgers University students by providing some information about situations or circumstances in which Counseling, ADAP & Psychiatric Services might lend assistance. The number of requests for consultation from faculty and staff members has increased dramatically over the past several years. CAPS welcomes this concern on the part of faculty and staff members about the well-being of the students at the University. The information contained in the following documents explain when professional counseling might be beneficial to an individual and how to make a referral to the Center. Some general guidelines to keep in mind when dealing with psychologically distressed students are also included. The concept of professional confidentiality and information about other types of referral and consultation services are also included.

Services at Counseling, ADAP & Psychiatric Services (CAPS):

CAPS provides individual and group counseling, crisis intervention, consultation and outreach, alcohol and other drug assistance and psychiatric services for students of Rutgers University in New Brunswick/Piscataway, NJ. The number of visits is determined by an individualized assessment of the student’ needs.  Non student partners of students are not eligible for services, but will be given appropriate referrals to other campus services or to local community providers.  We do not provide counseling or other services by e-mail or other electronic media. People not affiliated with Rutgers should seek help from a local university or community service provider.


We treat all of our contacts with students confidentially and in accord with the state of New Jersey mental health code. We cannot tell anyone, inside or outside of the University, that the student is receiving psychological services unless the student signs a specific release of information authorizing us to do so. Sometimes the faculty or staff member who made the referral will call to follow up. Please understand that we cannot tell you that the student has made an appointment without his/her written consent. If you are concerned about the student, contact him/her directly to ask if he/she has followed through with the referral. We can only release information without a student’s written consent in those circumstances when there is imminent danger to the student or to others; in cases of child or elderly abuse; or when court ordered to do so. In cases when a student is referred to our office for a specific evaluation (i.e.: a residence life evaluation following a suicide gesture or attempt), we have the student sign a release prior to being seen and clearly communicate that information obtained during the evaluation will be shared with the residence life staff.

For information on strategies for referring students to CAPS, click here:

Faculty Staff Referral Guide

For information on how to recognize signs of distress in students, click here:

Distressed Students

For information on handling mental health emergencies, click here:

Faculty & Staff Resource Guide